Saturday, June 21, 2008

A Baby Boomer Birthday: Another Day Older....

Back in 1955, Tennessee Ernie Ford sang a song that would go on to be a huge hit for him. It was called Sixteen Tons.

"....Another day older and deeper in debt
Saint Peter don't you call me 'cause I can't go
I owe my soul to the company store..."

As I read the words to the song, I couldn't help thinking how some things just NEVER seem to change. If you're a baby boomer sharing a birthday with me today, HAPPY BIRTHDAY. If you're a baby boomer deeper in debt, welcome to the club---there's plenty of us out here!

According to an AARP Sponsored study:

* The rate of bankruptcy filings among those ages 65 and older has more than doubled since 1991.

* Americans age 55 or older have experienced the sharpest increase in bankruptcy filings.

* Americans age 34 or younger have experienced the greatest decrease in bankruptcy filings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Despite the sobering news about debt and bankruptcy filings, I do wish you and all those boomers with birthdays on June 21st a festive celebration of your natal origins. Even in the toughest of times, we need to mark those special occasions with joy and fun.

So, happy, happy birthday, dear Beverly!

Passing the Torch from Baby Boomers to Millennials to Gen Z

Whether baby boomers can accept it or not, a changing of the guard has taken place with  millennials and the up and coming Gen Z generations...