Saturday, April 07, 2012

Grandma Wears a Hoodie Too

The other day I had to stop and think twice before I left for my regular visit to the gym. You see, it was a little chilly outside and I reached for my green jacket---which just happens to be a Hoodie. Of course, Hoodies are in the news these days following the shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin. I put the Hoodie on, looked at myself in the mirror and thought, "What if I walked down the street in my neighborhood---would my white neighbors become frightened and call the police or would I discover we had our own version of a neighborhood watch captain who might become trigger happy?" After all, with a hoodie on I could pass for a man. It's a shame that I, as a grandmother, must deal with this subject.

No comments:

Passing the Torch from Baby Boomers to Millennials to Gen Z

Whether baby boomers can accept it or not, a changing of the guard has taken place with  millennials and the up and coming Gen Z generations...