Skip to main content

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall...Yes, I'm the Fairest One of All!

When I was in my twenties, I was so busy living for the moment that I never had time to think about tomorrow. I was in the beginning of what was expected to be a big time television news career. I had a body that turned heads and a burst of energy for my very active lifestyle. I was what you would call a Diva.

In my thirties, I started taking life more seriously. I was focused on a lifetime of happiness with my husband and daughter while working hard to develop my career. I was determined not to let anything or anyone stand in my way.

Now I'm in my late 40s reflecting on the would've, should've, could've aspects of my life. What was supposed to be a big time television career resulted in a stressful, dead end job that just paid the bills. That lifetime of happiness with my husband ended abruptly in divorce court and I spent many frustrating days and nights trying to raise a child by myself.

To top it off, I'm now trying to cope with growing older in a world that caters to the young. It seems as though middle age sneaked up on me like a thief in the night and with it came changes for which I wasn't prepared.

These days when I look in the mirror, I see a woman I'm not sure I recognize. She has strands of gray hair and wrinkles in places easily seen. That drop dead gorgeous body has been replaced with some unattractive bulges and cellulite. These are just a few of the road signs pointing to my journey into middle age.

Growing older is a trip but not what I'd call a vacation. I certainly don't have that relaxed feeling you're supposed to get after some hot fun in the sun. These days I don't need any sun to get hot and I definitely wouldn't classify getting older as fun.

Friends contend you can slow down the aging process but I argue you can't stop it. So for all you women who think you'll look twenty-five forever, forget it!

All the plastic surgery in the world will not help. I don't care how many face lifts, botox shots or tummy tucks you receive, at some point in your life you will feel what it's like to grow older.

That’s the frame of mind I was in as I started writing. My book, Whatever! A Baby Boomer’s Journey Into Middle Age began as a journal of frustration that turned into a book of celebration. Throughout the pages I share the discoveries I’ve made about growing older. Yes, I’m getting older---but I’m also getting better. I’ve become so much more mature and confident in being who I am. These days, I’m connected spiritually to a Higher Power that helps me to soar to even greater heights.

OK, so I’ve put on a few extra pounds but it doesn’t change the person I am on the inside. I’m fabulous and bodacious, sassy and classy and as my daughter would say, “all that and a bag of chips!” And guess what else? I finally figured out the difference between LUST and LOVE.

Whatever! A Baby Boomer’s Journey Into Middle Age is for you if you or someone you know was born between 1946 and 1970.

It's for you if you can't figure out your mother's bizarre behavior or are trying to cope with your own emotional roller coaster.

Are you back on the dating scene after spending years believing you had found Mr. Right?

Do you have teenagers who think they know more than you do?

By no means do I claim to be an expert who has the remedy for what ails your middle age heart, body and soul. This book traces my personal into a world that is bringing about new challenges and forcing me to deal with my own mortality.

I know I can't turn back the hands of time so I just say WHATEVER!

You may find we have a great deal in common.

Comments

Rhea said…
I am also in my late forties. It was very heartening to hear your story. I think 'Whatever' is a great mantra.
babyboomerbev said…
Thanks Rhea for your comments. I prefer to use my "worry" enrgy someplace else--like being "happy."

Popular posts from this blog

Donald Trump Has Brought Out the Worst in America

This isn't meant to be another one of those bash Donald Trump blog posts.  This is, instead, a commentary on the negativity his campaign has sparked.  

Racists have come out of the woodwork like roaches in the dark.  For the most part, these supporters would be classified as poor whites, angry because they can't advance with little or no education and the majority of them would also be identified as angry white males.  They have taken off their hoods, jumped on his bandwagon, taken off their hoods and are leading the "make America great" campaign.  They have gotten behind a candidate who spews some of the nastiest comments and behaved in such a manner that has to embarrass any decent, conscientious, law-abiding white person in America.  

People like 78-year-old man John Franklin McGraw of North Carolina have felt free to assault non Trump supporters at presidential candidate's rallies.  "The victim deserved it.  The next time we see him we might have to kill h…

Thank You Lebron James for Fulfilling My Bucket Wish List

You can't grow up in Northeastern Ohio and not be a sports fan.  As a cheerleader in middle and high schools, I came to appreciate and UNDERSTAND the game of football and basketball.  

I remember Marion Motley from the OLD Cleveland (Bulldogs) Browns coming over our house to socialize with my parents.  (He and my mother went to high school together).  I remember  Brian Sipe and the "Kardiac Kids" who always had me on the edge of my seat when they were playing.  I remember how proud I was when my high school classmate Phil Hubbard made his presence known on the Cleveland Cavaliers, along with Brad Daugherty, Ron Harper and Mark Price (the Cavalier's three-point king).

But in all of those years, we never won a championship or even came close.  My saddest memory is the 1987 AFC Championship Game between the Browns and Broncos on January 17, 1988 at Mile High Stadium. With 1:12 left in the game, Browns running back Earnest Byner fumbled on the Broncos 1 yard line while try…

Millennials Want Their Own Day

In case you haven't heard the news, there's a online petition encouraging the man they call the President of the U.S. to establish a National Millennials Day.

Self-proclaimed millennial leaders James Goodnow and Ryan Avery want to establish June 19 as a day for Generation Y to dispel the FAKE NEWS being spread about them.  They say they simply want to show those of us who have labeled them as "entitled" selfish" lazy" "narcissistic" (and other choice adjectives) that they can be important contributors to society.  Their "vision is to make National Millennials Day a day of service--a day when they reach out and help others in their communities.

 According to their website, millennialsday.org, organizers say "With National Millennials Day, we want to turn the stereotypes inside--out.  To show that we're more GENERATION WE than Generation ME. To transform ideals into actions.  To inspire hope for the future.  To celebrate the most open…