Saturday, April 07, 2007

Was I having a Hot Flash or What?

Last weekend, I promised my baby boomer diva girlfriend, Donna Maria, that I would support her Teen Fest 2K7 project. So today, I kept my word and went over to North Carolina Central University to watch the performances of several talented young people from Raleigh-Durham and the surrounding area.

Donna Maria, being the spectacular woman that she is, managed to get two celebrity male judges to help her out. They were men I recognized from back in the day AND they're actually baby boomers themselves. You remember Christopher "Play" Martin from the Kid-n-Play House Party Movies? And then there was Darryl "DMC" McDaniel from the musical group RUN-DMC. They were the pioneers of hip-hop---when hip hop was still respectable. I used to love that song "Walk this Way."

Well anyway, at intermission, I took the opportunity to go over to them and introduce myself and give them a copy of my book. (Actually, Christopher is on my email buddy list). I told Darryl to give his copy to his wife Zuri. I suggested Chris give it to his mom, at which time he informed me she had passed away last month. It was at that moment that I wanted to give him a bear hug but then I thought I might not want to let go of that fine baby boomer man so I kept my composure and offered my condolenses.

Now here's where it gets a little blurry. During my interaction with these fine gentlemen I started to feel a little flush. You know, it was like a nervous perspiration but then I thought "Oh, I'm too old to be getting THOSE kind of feelings because I'm going through menopause, so I must be having a hot flash!"

Well, whatever it was---it actually felt pretty good.

2 comments:

Carine-what's cooking? said...

Leave it to hormones. I had quite a bit of "hotflashes" last week in Kauai myself-and yes, it did feel pretty darn good!

Maholo

Bev Mahone said...

Welcome back Carine!!! I can't wait to hear some snippets :)

Beverly

Passing the Torch from Baby Boomers to Millennials to Gen Z

Whether baby boomers can accept it or not, a changing of the guard has taken place with  millennials and the up and coming Gen Z generations...