Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Menopause Can Make You Fat...Duh!

Just yesterday I read an article indicating women were having less sex due to menopause. It’s a theory I dispute based on my own personal experience but, nonetheless, it was an interesting article. Today, another article has come out indicating that menopause can make you FAT. “The declining estrogen levels associated with the change can interfere with metabolic processes leading to weight gain,” US researchers said on Monday, confirming what many women already knew.

Yes, I am in the category of women who already knew this information. My wonderful gynecologist gave me the 4-1-1 on perimenopause and menopause a few years back just as I was beginning to experience some of the symptoms. She is one of the main reasons I have become knowledgeable on the subject. She is also one of the inspirations behind my book, Whatever! A Baby Boomer’s Journey Into Middle Age, in which I discuss my whole menopause experience and non-medical ways to deal with those annoying symptoms.

What the article doesn’t address are factors like stress and eating habits that also play a significant role in weight gain and menopause. The article also doesn’t talk about what needs to be done to give your metabolism a much needed jump start. We, as women, are led to believe that a 30-minute walk three times a week will help us maintain our weight but what needs to be done to DROP the fat? That’s what I talk about in my book. Are there really that many uninformed menopausal women out here who don’t have a clue about what’s going on with their bodies? Or is it possible there are too many doctors failing to provide the necessary treatment and information to their patients?

Next question, how much did these researchers get paid to supply this information? Could it be I’m in the wrong business?

Here’s the link to read the entire article:http://www.ebiologynews.com/2696.html

1 comment:

Nessa said...

People need to pay closer attention to themselves and trust more in their own judgment and accept the fact that there are no miracle cures. Start with good food in moderation, at least an half hour of continuous movement daily and turn off the TV sometimes.

Passing the Torch from Baby Boomers to Millennials to Gen Z

Whether baby boomers can accept it or not, a changing of the guard has taken place with  millennials and the up and coming Gen Z generations...