Saturday, January 19, 2008

What a Difference a Day Makes in a Baby Boomer's Life

Back in 1959, a singer named Dinah Washington won a Grammy for her rendition of the song, “What a Difference a Day Makes.”

My parents had the record which they played quite often. OK---I'm showing my age but this blog is for baby boomers who can reflect back on days gone by.

Anyway, I have always loved that song for a number of reasons. First, I love Dinah Washington’s sultry voice and especially the duets she used to do with Brook Benton. Second, the song has such meaning. Even though she is singing about romance, I can’t help but think of how much life can change in just 24 little hours.

In a 24 hour period, I almost lost my daughter. I went from having a child on the brink of death to being able to walk out of the hospital---what a difference that day made. In another 24 hour period, my husband was hundreds of miles away but was returned safely to me.

I’m learning not to take anything for granted because I understand more and more that 24 hours can change the course of your life forever.

“What a diff'rence a day makes
Twenty-four little hours
Brought the sun and the flowers
Where there used to be rain

My yesterday was blue, dear
Today I'm part of you, dear
My lonely nights are through, dear
Since you said you were mine

What a diff'rence a day makes
There's a rainbow before me
Skies above can't be stormy
Since that moment of bliss, that thrilling kiss

It's heaven when you
Find romance on your menu
What a diff'rence a day makes
And the difference is you

What a diff'rence a day makes
There's a rainbow before me
Skies above can't be stormy
Since that moment of bliss, that thrilling kiss

It's heaven when you
Find happiness on your menu
What a diff'rence a day makes
And the difference is you.

3 comments:

Melodieann Whiteley said...

Yes, isn't it amazing how life can change so quickly! My grandmother always said that nothing lasts forever so to enjoy the good times as they come because everything could be totally different tomorrow. On the other hand don't worry too much about the bad times, but meet the challenges head on and do try to be positive -because everything could be totally different tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Beverly,
I remember that song and loved it as well. The words and the sentiments seem to ring truer the older we get and the more challenges we have faced.
Thanks be to the heavens and all the angels that your beautiful daughter recovered and is now home with you and your husband.
These experiences, although horribly frightening, do remind us that life is precious and to cherish each and every moment.
Thanks for sharing your story.

Anonymous said...

What a great reminder not to take your days for granted. Thanks, Bev.

Passing the Torch from Baby Boomers to Millennials to Gen Z

Whether baby boomers can accept it or not, a changing of the guard has taken place with  millennials and the up and coming Gen Z generations...