Saturday, February 02, 2008

Turn Up the Heat for Super Bowl Sunday

I don’t about you but I refuse to be a baby boomer sports widow on Super Bowl Sunday. I am not going to sit at home alone while my baby boomer husband decides he wants to be around “like-minded” individuals (who just happen to be all men) to watch the big game.

Actually, I won’t be alone because my husband actually enjoys watching sports with me. Why? Because I’ve studied the games over the years---and being a cheerleader certainly helped! I can sit and intelligently discuss first downs and offside penalties and referee calls that should’ve or should not have been made. I’ve also learned how to make watching the game interesting in the romance department.

I guess you're asking yourself, how can sports possibly be romantic especially if you hate it. Well, why not look at it this way. If you love your husband (mate), why not take a sincere interest in his love for the game---whether it be football, basketball, tennis or WHATEVER! If it's something your husband really enjoys, wouldn't you rather learn about it, and share the common bond of sports than to have him watch it alone or always leave to watch it with his buddies? I prefer to be a sports wife rather than a sports widow.

Here are a few of my tips to help you get your husband prepared and in the mood for Super Bowl Sunday and any other sports championship game:

Start out by having your own pre-game show. The two of you can toss a football out in the yard. When he lets you tackle him, you can sneak in a kiss. Or why not be the quarterback and instead of hiking a 'real' ball, just pretend there's a ball there, between his legs, and turn it into a game of touch football. After an hour or so of fun, fantasy and sweat, you can go inside--take a shower--and relax while getting ready for the Big Game.

No matter what you plan, if you do it with excitement and enthusiasm, it'll be a treat for him. And, the next time you're watching an episode of Desperate Housewives, don't be surprised if you find your husband sitting next to you preparing to make some moves of his own.

Remember this: Just because we're getting older doesn't mean the fire has gone out in the romance department.

2 comments:

Melodieann Whiteley said...

Thanks for the tips, Bev! I know many women who will be getting in some Super Bowl action of their own now. And I like the way you suggest all this take place before the game - not during. Husbands across the country will so appreciative of the wife who played a little "football" with him before the game and then settled down with him afterward to watch the "other" game on TV.

Bev Mahone said...

Melodieann,

Good sportsmanship and conduct goes along way in a "game." :)

Passing the Torch from Baby Boomers to Millennials to Gen Z

Whether baby boomers can accept it or not, a changing of the guard has taken place with  millennials and the up and coming Gen Z generations...