Thursday, July 10, 2008

Baby Boomer Jesse Drama

There’s an old saying in the black community: God looks after babies and fools. Well, we know Jesse Jackson is NOT a baby……

I, just like the majority of black America, am stunned over the comments the reverend made about democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama during a conversation with a Fox & Friends guest before a live interview Sunday from Chicago. Thinking his mic was turned off, Rev Jackson whispered to a fellow panelist , "See, Barack been talking down to black people on this faith based ... I want cut his nuts off ... Barack ... he's talking down to black people."

Now Jackson claims he was reacting to the fact that he felt Obama's speeches "can come off as speaking down to black people" and that there were other important issues to be addressed in the black community, such as unemployment, the mortgage crisis and the number of blacks in prison.

Irregardless of what he was reacting to, Jackson ought to know better. First of all, he should’ve been smart enough to know anything you say can and will be used against you in front of a mic and in the media’s presence. Secondly, Jackson should be one of the last people to criticize anybody on the issues of faith and morality. Isn’t he the aging baby boomer who had an affair with a woman 20 years younger and fathered a child with her while married?

Now, to Jackson’s credit, he did issue an apology right away---even before the news media got a chance to blast it. He issued this statement:

"My appeal was for the moral content of his message to not only deal with the personal and moral responsibility of black males, but to deal with the collective moral responsibility of government and the public policy..."

There’s another saying that goes: Open mouth, insert foot---but in this case---how about a Choc Full of NUTS!

4 comments:

Rhea said...

Even if Jackson thought Obama WAS talking down, what about that line about wanting to cut off Obama's nuts!? I think that kind of talk is a reflection of Jackson's egotism. Many people who become politicians, teachers, clergy or performers are narcissists. I think Jackson can't stand that Obama is the popular guy, and not himself. Thanks, too, for bringing up Jackson's affair. What is this holier-than-thou talk? He can't get away with that.

Anonymous said...

Bev:

I gotta tell ya, I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. I understand what Jesse was saying and he wasn't being crude in public - and who doesn't use language like that in private? I haven't seen Barack's speeches in full, so I don't know whether Jesse has a real case. But if he feels that strongly about it, I wouldn't back down from the concept, even once exposed. If I were him, I would've said, "You know, I wouldn't use that language in public, but the idea stands: Senator Obama needs to give Black America more credit and I think the senator knows that. I hope it's simply the fatigue of a long and difficult race that had him speaking that way. I look forward to working this out with the senator in person ... and I promise his health won't be in jeopardy."

I'm not a huge Jesse fan, but I think he's getting rougher treatment than he deserves on this and ought to stand behind his point.

Cheers,
B

Anonymous said...

OK...as you know, I have to say something...You can agree or disagree, that is your right...but here is my take on Jessie Jackson..."SOUR GRAPES!" For those of you who do not understand that statement...think of it as "kicking your feet because you can't believe it isn't happening to you." WAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaa The big baby!

So here we have Jessie Jackson who does not have the fineness, education, leadership, stability, genteelism or charisma that Obamma has.

Obama, who is the first black man (for those of you who haven't noticed) to run for the presidency. I am sure that Jessie Jackson has invariance his self in that position most of his life.

Obama, who is admired and respected among his peers and the Nation. Educated and a gentleman and a decent human being and a good family man with out adultery under his belt.

Verses Jessie Jackson who in my humble (did I say that???LOL) opinion is a media hog/whore.

He does not represent the black community. And never has.

Jessie Jackson was caught...being himself off/on camera, plain and simple. The fact that he apologized immediately was in my opinion (once again) an attempt to make the ripples of his obnoxious statement go away...NOTHING ELSE.

Jessie Jackson got caught showing the true Jessie Jackson. I for one am glad that it happened because now he has shown his true colors to the community and the nation.

His statement did not hurt Obama, in fact if it did anything, it rallied those around him because of the absurdity of it.

Southern smiles and world peace,
Sharon
~The Baby Boomer Queen~
Author of BabyBoomerAdvisorClub

Anonymous said...

What a sad and unfortunate comment. I'm sure that Jackson deeply regrets his remark--especially because it was in front of a mic.
However, from what I know about Barack Obama, he seems to be able to forgive and move on. He is such an incredible man--I can't wait to see him in the White House!

Passing the Torch from Baby Boomers to Millennials to Gen Z

Whether baby boomers can accept it or not, a changing of the guard has taken place with  millennials and the up and coming Gen Z generations...