Monday, January 26, 2009

A Baby Boomer's Witness to History Part III

Make no mistake about it, President Barack Obama knows how to command an audience. You could've heard a pin drop during his Inaugural speech. Despite the fact that there were plenty of children and babies who could've gone cranky--they chose not to. No matter where you were in the crowd of millions, you were listening intently to every word he had to say.

President Obama wanted us to make sure we understood the challenges we face are real and serious----and it's going to take all of us as a united front to pull us through this mess. He told us "the time has come to set aside childish things." Now for those of you who aren't well versed on the Bible, this reference came from 1Corinthians 13:11:

When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

So what was he saying? In my opinion, he was telling us it is time to put aside our political differences---the bickering and finger-pointing. We all know how we got in this mess but continuing to wallow in it won't do anything but keep us deep in it.

It's true that 43 percent of the country did not vote for President Obama but, just like in life, we don't always get what we want. The important lesson is how you handle your disappointments and can you really be a team player in the face of adversity?

During his speech, the President also said: "The time has come to reaffirm our enduring spirit; to choose our better history..."

Now this is where I beg to differ----because I don't think our better history has been written yet. I look forward to the new chapters that are being created by the Obama Administration.

Enjoy the slide show!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great slide show, Bev. I agree with you that our best history is yet to be written. BTW, your daughter is a beautiful young lady. How blessed you are to have been able to share this moment in history with her.

David said...

I'm sure you will carry the memory of being right there in Washington for the inaugural, with you, vividly, all of your life and share it often with many throughout your lifetime!

I am amazed as you are of the dedication and passion that one man has, to make our world a better place and the inspiration that he has given to so many all over the world.

I truly feel that we have finally left the dark ages of our time and are moving toward a time of light and vision that well be marked for all time as "When the path that saved the world began".

Thanks for sharing your personal story of being there to see it begin!

Anonymous said...

Beverly,
Thank you for sharing your first-hand memories of this amazing and awe inspiring event. So many of us were deeply touched to watch this long awaited and greatly sought after leader raise his hand and take the oath of office. As a white American, I was moved to tears and can only imagine what that moment meant to millions of African Americans.
Your photos brought an immediacy to your writing and I felt like I was actually there alongside you and your beautiful family. If there ever was a day for rejoicing, this was it. Thanks for helping me feel a part of it!

Anonymous said...

My husband and I took the day off to watch it play out on TV. We weren't brave enough to weather the cold, although we battled with the thought many times before actually deciding against it. Still, so much emotional came even from watching on TV.

Parents Rule! said...

I am glad you had a chance to go to DC for this. It has been so interesting reading your impressions of the trip and what it means to you.

I so agree about coming together-now if he could just reach out to the Repubs and convince the Dems in Congress to do the same thing we would all be better off.

Passing the Torch from Baby Boomers to Millennials to Gen Z

Whether baby boomers can accept it or not, a changing of the guard has taken place with  millennials and the up and coming Gen Z generations...