Monday, January 17, 2011

The Chicken Polka Dots

When I picked up my grandson one day last week from daycare he asked me if he had the chicken polka dots. He sounded really serious about it so so I didn't want to burst out laughing over something that sounded ridiculous to me. I kept digging to try to get to the bottom of his inquiry. He started pointing to his face and then it hit me---he meant the CHICKEN POX.

He told me that's what Little Bill had and he wanted to know if he would get them too.

To be perfectly honest, I haven't thought of childhood diseases since my grown daughter was her son's age but now as his primary caregiver, I must be mindful of them.

If you are a baby boomer grandparent like me, it would be a good idea for you to brushen up on your knowledge of childhood diseases. Here's a site to refresh your memory: Common Childhood Diseases

3 comments:

Kathy said...

Hmmm, my first thought is why did Little Bill's mother send him to daycare if he has the chicken pox?

Kathy said...

Oops, not quite up to date on my childhood literature. I see now that Little Bill is a cartoon.

Jessica Sieghart said...

My kids had the Chicken Polka Dots but now it seems nobody gets them with the vaccine. Here, most kids get the vaccine on their first birthdays, but if they don't, they have to have it before they go to Kindergarten or they won't let you in.

Passing the Torch from Baby Boomers to Millennials to Gen Z

Whether baby boomers can accept it or not, a changing of the guard has taken place with  millennials and the up and coming Gen Z generations...