Sunday, October 21, 2012

When Baby Boomer Married Minds Think Alike


A couple of weeks ago my husband and I went to the Carolina Ale House for our weekly "date night."  While enjoying our meal, I noticed a young mother with her two children (a boy and a girl).  They were sitting in a booth.  Both children were cuddled up to their mother as opposed to sitting on the opposite side.

As I watched their interaction, I couldn't help but notice the closeness they shared but I I also wondered was she a single parent?  Where was their dad?  Was she struggling to make ends meet?  At that moment something came over me that I can't explain.  I excused myself from the table, went out to the car and got my  credit card from my purse (which I left in the car).  When I came back inside, I told my husband I felt moved to pay for their meals and I didn't want him to try to talk me out of it.

Surprisingly (or maybe not), he said he was thinking about doing the same thing.  I called the waitress over, told her I wanted to pay their bill but didn't want them to know it until we left the restaurant.

After finishing our meal, my husband and I walked silently to our car knowing our hearts had been connected even more deeply by a mom and two children we may never see again.

9 comments:

rhea said...

One of those cool random acts of kindness type of situations. Bravo!

Laura Lee Carter aka the Midlife Crisis Queen said...

Thanks for sharing this small incident in your life. Perhaps it will encourage the rest of us to be so impulsively generous.

Chloe said...

You really can never know what was going on there, but your act of love I'm sure will stay with them forever.

Years and years ago my husband and I had an anonymous person in a restaurant pay for our dinner. I won't bore you with the details, but it was something that stayed with us every since. And we've done it in return. It feels good to do and it feels good to have someone do it for you.

Sometimes my faith is very shaky, but I do believe that God works through people. What a blessing that you could be His hands (and His credit card) that day.

Unknown said...

I'll never forget the day someone did that for us, when we really needed it.
Monumental: a flash of God's love, here on earth.
Thanks you on that woman's behalf!

Bev Mahone said...

Chloe,

You said..."What a blessing that you could be His hands (and His credit card) that day."

I never thought of it quite that way but it's true and I do count it as a blessing because we are blessed to be a blessing to others.

Thank you for stopping by and commenting.

Bev Mahone said...

Lara Lee,

If everyone committed to doing just one good deed for a stranger every day, the nonsense we see going on would exist no longer. There is good in the world--unfortunately it is surrounded by much evil.

Thanks for stopping by to comment.

Bev Mahone said...

Susan,
You're welcome! I do wish I could do more---MORE OFTEN.

Thanks for stopping by to comment.

Ann Dunnewold said...

What a loving act. You made the world a better place that night.

Robert Tucker said...

Hi Beverly,

My name is Rob Tucker and I work for ReadWave (www.readwave.com), a platform that specializes in short reads for mobile readers. I really enjoyed reading your article, "When Baby Boomer Married Minds Think Alike" on your blog.

We're about to launch a relationships section on ReadWave and I was hoping I could ask you to contribute something. If you have something suitable we'd be happy to put it up on our homepage at www.readwave.com. We're not looking for advice articles so much as first person accounts of relationship experiences. The word limit is 2,000 words, but really the shorter the better.

Please do let me know. Thanks very much.

All the best,
Rob

Passing the Torch from Baby Boomers to Millennials to Gen Z

Whether baby boomers can accept it or not, a changing of the guard has taken place with  millennials and the up and coming Gen Z generations...