Skip to main content

Boomer Road Trip to Michigan

Earlier this week, I flew to Grand Rapids, Michigan for business. It was great seeing colleagues like Corena, who I met the first time I was there, along with Audrey, Shannon, and a few others.

Although I've been to the city before, this time I got to experience a few things I have NEVER done in my 55 years of living.

I rode on a school bus for the FIRST TIME in my whole life. We took a 50-minute trip on the bus and, as you can probably imagine, it LOUD with lots of talking and laughter. It's a wonder the bus driver could pay attention to the dark road signs and if we had gotten in an accident, it certainly would've been caused by out-of-control crowd noise.

Now, my daughter always jokes about how I went to school before school buses were invented but what I tell her is I lived in a community that had a neighborhood school which meant I could walk to and from school daily. By the time I got to high school, I would catch the city bus or walk the 3 mile route.

The second thing I did in Grand Rapids, that I had never done before, was go to a restaurant on a farm in a barn---a REAL BARN and I'm guessing I ate food that was once alive on that farm. We arrived at the farm on the school bus.

The third thing I did was go to a hoedown. I can honestly say I never even watched one on TV so this was a REAL EXPERIENCE and yes, I brought my video camera so you could witness it.

Oh, and don't let me forget this: I was flown from Cincinnati to Raleigh-Durham by a black pilot on Delta Airlines. NEVER, EVER BEFORE. This was quite a Boomer Road Trip!

Now enjoy this video:




Comments

A hoedown--so fun! I want to go! I am actually doing a similar farm dinner in a few weeks.
Check out my road trip songs at www.middle-aged-diva.blogspot.com for your next driving tour!
Janie Emaus said…
I used to live in Grand Rapids. About a million years ago.
Glad you had fun in Michigan. So many new experiences. Sound so fun!
Sounds like fun. It's a great idea to do things out of your comfort zone every now and then.
BeverlyM said…
Carol,
I just checked out your road trip songs. A few of them are on my list too. Thanks for stopping by and commenting.
BeverlyM said…
Janie,

I'd bet you'd be surprised at how much it has grown. I take an annual trip there on business and am always pleasantly surprised at what I didn't see the year before. Thanks for taking time to read my blog.
BeverlyM said…
Jennifer,
That was definitely OUT of my comfort zone! :)
BeverlyM said…
Still Blonde After all these YEARS,
It was nice to have some fun after spending two 8 hour days in workshops.

Popular posts from this blog

Donald Trump Has Brought Out the Worst in America

This isn't meant to be another one of those bash Donald Trump blog posts.  This is, instead, a commentary on the negativity his campaign has sparked.  

Racists have come out of the woodwork like roaches in the dark.  For the most part, these supporters would be classified as poor whites, angry because they can't advance with little or no education and the majority of them would also be identified as angry white males.  They have taken off their hoods, jumped on his bandwagon, taken off their hoods and are leading the "make America great" campaign.  They have gotten behind a candidate who spews some of the nastiest comments and behaved in such a manner that has to embarrass any decent, conscientious, law-abiding white person in America.  

People like 78-year-old man John Franklin McGraw of North Carolina have felt free to assault non Trump supporters at presidential candidate's rallies.  "The victim deserved it.  The next time we see him we might have to kill h…

Thank You Lebron James for Fulfilling My Bucket Wish List

You can't grow up in Northeastern Ohio and not be a sports fan.  As a cheerleader in middle and high schools, I came to appreciate and UNDERSTAND the game of football and basketball.  

I remember Marion Motley from the OLD Cleveland (Bulldogs) Browns coming over our house to socialize with my parents.  (He and my mother went to high school together).  I remember  Brian Sipe and the "Kardiac Kids" who always had me on the edge of my seat when they were playing.  I remember how proud I was when my high school classmate Phil Hubbard made his presence known on the Cleveland Cavaliers, along with Brad Daugherty, Ron Harper and Mark Price (the Cavalier's three-point king).

But in all of those years, we never won a championship or even came close.  My saddest memory is the 1987 AFC Championship Game between the Browns and Broncos on January 17, 1988 at Mile High Stadium. With 1:12 left in the game, Browns running back Earnest Byner fumbled on the Broncos 1 yard line while try…

The Tragedy and Illusion of Facebook

"Things aren't always the way they appear."  No truer words could be spoken following the tragic death of Karen Smith in San Bernardino, CA this week.  She was murdered on her job---in a classroom where she was teaching young students.

What intrigued me about this story was the fact that she and her husband killer, Cedric Anderson were black baby boomers around the same age as my husband and myself.  I was particularly interested in the posts he made on Facebook.  By all accounts, he posted regularly on Facebook about the so-called love and admiration he had for his wife.  He created an image that was clearly contrary to the murderous behavior he demonstrated when he walked into her classroom and killed her.

In a February 27th post, he posted a selfie video and said:  "I love being married to Karen Smith-Anderson!"

March 11 post, he said: "My wife Karen Smith-Anderson is an Angel!!!"

March 12: He posted a youtube song by Sade titled By Your Side and said:…