Wednesday, November 28, 2018

There's No Comeback Without a Setback

If you've ever had a setback in your life, you will identify with this post.

My definition of a "setback" is an event or action that keeps you from moving forward;  it stops you dead in your tracks and, sometimes, makes you feel like giving up.  Many of us have been on the setback trail.

I've had plenty of setbacks throughout my life--both personal and professional.  I can go all the way back to my high school days and remember how I tried out for the cheerleading squad but didn't make it (the first time around).  My excuse was "I wasn't the right shade of black."  After I got over being "in my feelings" I came back to reality and worked hard over the next year until it was time to tryout again and, yes, I made it!

I remember the first time I tried to land a job as a TV reporter at the ABC Affiliate WCTI in NC and was told point blank by a former News Director that I didn't have what it took to be a member of his Eye-Witness News Team.  I was devastated.  My ego was crushed because I just knew I was going to be successful in a career I'd wanted my entire life.  (Yes, I had a TERRIBLE audition tape but was convinced my personality would at least get me in the door).  That experience taught me a lot about perseverance and faith.  It also taught me about networking and connecting with people for future reference because back in the mid 1980's, networking as we know it today was unheard of.  It was through that "connection" that a door opened and I walked in BOLDLY as the newest edition to the WITN-TV news team.

Raising a child as a single parent, after divorce, was also a challenge especially when I thought I had married the man of my dreams.  But some dreams can become nightmares as I learned and it became an emotional and draining setback.

But I have to tell you, the BIGGEST setback I have experienced in my life has been related to my health.  In 1999, I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure (after being misdiagnosed as having bronchitis).  It took a good two to three years and all kinds of medication to get my heart to function normally again.  I was forced to go out on sick leave for months.  But God's Grace carried me through that setback to prepare me for my next journey.

Less than six months ago, I suffered a another major setback with my congestive heart failure diagnosis.  I started feeling bad---like I was catching a cold. It got progressively worse.  I could barely walk any distance without gasping for air.  I couldn't sleep without feeling like I was choking to death.  I tried to exercise but it wasn't helping. I finally made a doctor's appointment.  Because of my history, the cardiologist felt an echocardiogram was necessary.  It revealed the following:

I WOULD ESTIMATE THE LEFT VENTRICULAR EJECTION FRACTION NO GREATER THAN 25%. RIGHT VENTRICULAR SYSTOLIC PRESSURES ESTIMATED IN THE 40 MMHG RANGE.  SINCE PRIOR ECHOCARDIOGRAM LEFT VENTRICULAR EJECTION FRACTION HAS DECREASED AND THE LEFT
VENTRICLE HAS DILATED

Now for those of you who may not understand what this means, let me explain.  A normal "Ejection Fraction" operates at 50 percent or better.  Mine was at 25 percent---having DROPPED from 40 percent that last time I had the test in 2015.  My doctor was talking about open heart surgery but I was adamant about going under the knife.  I asked her to "trust my process"; to give me an opportunity to get my health together.  In hindsight, I'm not sure why I said that but she went for it and told me we would revisit the subject if I showed no or little signs of improvement by my next visit.

I had three months to get it together. I took my medication like I was supposed to and didn't skip dosages like I had been doing in the past.  I worked out nearly everyday.  I kid you not, it was extremely hard at first.  Sometimes I would walk around the Duke Wall in tears because of how difficult it was to take more than a few steps at a time but I was determined to overcome this setback because I honestly believed God had a purpose for my next journey.

I'm happy to say today that after my last visit in September, surgery was taken off the table---at least for now anyway.  I ended up getting a new job that I absolutely LOVE and am thankful every single day for God's Grace.

Here's what I know:  His Word says even though our lives may be filled with trials and tribulations, it's just a setback to prepare us for our next comeback.

To God be the Glory!

No comments:

Passing the Torch from Baby Boomers to Millennials to Gen Z

Whether baby boomers can accept it or not, a changing of the guard has taken place with  millennials and the up and coming Gen Z generations...