Saturday, August 07, 2010

The Genealogy Search Continues

On Friday I received a letter from the Alabama Office of Vital Records. This was in response to my $35.50 request to receive a copy of my dad's birth certificate so I could see who my grandmother listed as the father.

Before opening the letter I said a little prayer asking God to prepare me for whatever I might read.

This is what the letter said:

CERTIFICATE OF FAILURE TO FIND

STATE OF ALABAMA
DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH

CENTER FOR HEALTH STATISTICS
OFFICE OF VITAL RECORDS

August 4, 2010

I certify that a diligent search of the records in my custody has been completed for the years 1920 - 1934, and no certificate of live birth was found to exist for LEWIS MOTON MAHONE, born July 22, 1926 in Macon County, Alabama, to SAMANTHA CASTON

Signed by Catherine Molchan Donald
State Registrar of Vital Statistics

Another dead end.

3 comments:

rosie said...

I got the same dead end for my mom. I was told it was because of midwife deliveries and to check old bibles, etc. I know it is very frustrating.
Chat a bit with Karen Batchelor she is an expert in genealogy and might have some ideas.

Eileen Williams said...

Oh, Beverly, I can only imagine your frustration and heartbreak at the news. I've been quite fortunate because both of my parents were interested in genealogy so I know my linage from way back. Therefore, naturally, I've taken this for granted.

After reading your posts, however, I no longer will. I wish you the best of luck and much success in your search!

Parents Rule! said...

I know how frustrating it is, Bev. My relatives were poor people from the mountains of TN with some Cherokees mixed in. Impossible to find out much information. And, like you, most of the people who would know anything have passed.

Passing the Torch from Baby Boomers to Millennials to Gen Z

Whether baby boomers can accept it or not, a changing of the guard has taken place with  millennials and the up and coming Gen Z generations...