Thursday, January 27, 2011

Mother Jailed for Wanting Children to Get Good Education

Kelly Williams-Bolar of Ohio and I (formerly of Ohio) are both mothers who have our childrens' best interests at heart and we will do whatever is necessary in order to make sure they have the best opportunities in life. Yes, that means LYING if we have to.

Ms. Williams-Bolar did the same thing two years ago that I did seven years ago. We both lied to ensure that our children would get a better education.

Fortunately for me, my lying went undetected---but not so for Ms. Williams-Bolar. Her lying landed her in jail charged with defrauding the school system for two years of educational services for her girls. She is also ordered to pay back $30 thousand dollars in tuition--a figure the court decided was the cost of sending her children to the wrong school.

Certainly, the fact that Ms. Williams-Bolar is a black woman had nothing to do with it,right? Whatever happened to the "no child left behind" that former President Bush kept harping on? Maybe it means don't leave them behind in the wrong school district.

No white parent has ever lied to get their child in a better school because they already go to the BEST schools.

The sad thing is her felony conviction keeps her from being able to get her teacher's license---which she was going to school for. Shame on that school district!

On the other hand, kudos to my school board for not wasting time investigating whether I was lying or not.

In my case, I initially told the truth by asking that my daughter be removed from the school she was attending in the district we lived in because I wanted her to get a quality education and it wasn't happening there. That request was denied. I appealed, went before the school board again with a well thought out lie and my request was APPROVED. To find out what that lie was you can read all about it in my new book, Don't Ask and I Won't Have to Lie.

I may have to resort to lying again since I now have a grandson coming up in the ranks.

1 comment:

Jessica Sieghart said...

Our high school is always in violation (or whatever the correct terminology is) of No Child Left Behind. As a result, we are allowed to attend out of district schools, but they are overcrowded, etc., and of course are under no obligation to take us. If you want to go there, you have to lie unless you can afford to move into the better districts. Personally, I wouldn't. I like the diversity in our schools and all the things my kids learn from their friends families that they'd never be exposed to at the less diverse, let's say, area high schools.

Passing the Torch from Baby Boomers to Millennials to Gen Z

Whether baby boomers can accept it or not, a changing of the guard has taken place with  millennials and the up and coming Gen Z generations...