Skip to main content

Where are they now???

Where are all of those now “famous” baby boomers I went to school with?

I went to Ohio University. I graduated in 1979 with a degree in Journalism. Little did I know at the time that I would be connected to some of the most successful people in their craft today just by being a member of the Ohio University Forensics Team. That’s right!

I crossed paths with students like Nancy Cartwright. For those of you who don’t recognize the name, she is the “voice” of Bart Simpson. Nancy was from a town outside of Dayton, OH---Kettering, I believe. She competed on the team for two years in the categories of Humorous Interpretation and Humorous Duo. She was funny back then and always had that sweet, baby voice. She left OU early to pursue her dreams of making it in Hollywood and, by my standard, she did just that!

Then there’s Dave Burgert. I’m not exactly sure where Dave was from. I just remember him as a very quiety, easy going young man who was a member of the debate team and the Republican party. I actually heard from him recently and “googled” him. He was selected as a “Texas Super Lawyer” at the law firm where he is a Partner. That doesn’t surprise me one bit. I always knew he’d be a lawyer. I’m surprised he’s not sitting on the bench yet.

Jack Thomas was also a member of the debate team and I believe he competed in some other categories as well. Jack and I were from the same general area. I always thought of him as a preppy white boy who had a difficult time relating to people that were “different.” We had major conflicts from time to time but we managed to get past them and work together for the good of the team. Jack went to law school and was a practicing attorney before he decided to give it all up to pursue his passion of comedy. I heard he spent some time with Second City in Chicago and is now writing for one of the Nickelodeon shows.

Deb Geisler was an extemporaneous speaker. She was always very supportive of her teammates. I always thought she had a crush on a guy named Jeff Green but I never got it confirmed. Deb is now teaching at Suffolk University in Boston.

Speaking of Jeff, he was my dramatic duo partner. I absolutely loved working with him! He took his work very seriously and was good at it. We were pretty good together and, yes, I had a crush on him too! It’s no surprise to me that Jeff is a tenured Associate Professor of dramatic Arts and Director of the Dramatic Arts program at Georgia Southwestern University. He also serves as the faculty advisor and producer for Hurricane Watch, GSW-TV16 student television productions.

Dave Radanovich was the “coolest of the cool.” He was an extemporaneous speaker. I always loved hanging out at his house with his roommate J.B. (deceased). Dave is a big shot PR guy somewhere in the Northeast---like maybe Pennsylvania.

(Arsenio Hall was also a member of the team but he transferred to Kent State. The rumor was he was ostracized by a racist coach who left the year after I arrived).

Then there’s ME. I was the team member who liked to raise everyone’s level of consciousness. I gave them hell when I felt they deserved it because of their lack of sensitivity to certain issues but I partied with them on Court Street, celebrated our winning victories (and we had many) and cried with them when they were hurting.

I’ll never forget the time they all rallied around me to perform a “Talk-A-Thon” in my efforts to raise money to become Miss Black Homecoming Queen. You can imagine the looks on people’s faces when they saw all of my white colleagues and me standing in front of Baker Center talking non-stop for the fundraiser. It was a defining moment in my relationship with all of them.

What would they have to say about me after all of these years? Trust me, they’d have some stories to tell about this best-selling author!

These are the baby boomers I went to school with. Who was in your class?

Comments

Deb said…
No, my crush was on Radish. :-) Jeff was just a wicked nice guy. (And Radish is in Connecticut...not quite so far north and east as I am. Haven't seen him in dunno how many years.)

Popular posts from this blog

Donald Trump Has Brought Out the Worst in America

This isn't meant to be another one of those bash Donald Trump blog posts.  This is, instead, a commentary on the negativity his campaign has sparked.  

Racists have come out of the woodwork like roaches in the dark.  For the most part, these supporters would be classified as poor whites, angry because they can't advance with little or no education and the majority of them would also be identified as angry white males.  They have taken off their hoods, jumped on his bandwagon, taken off their hoods and are leading the "make America great" campaign.  They have gotten behind a candidate who spews some of the nastiest comments and behaved in such a manner that has to embarrass any decent, conscientious, law-abiding white person in America.  

People like 78-year-old man John Franklin McGraw of North Carolina have felt free to assault non Trump supporters at presidential candidate's rallies.  "The victim deserved it.  The next time we see him we might have to kill h…

Thank You Lebron James for Fulfilling My Bucket Wish List

You can't grow up in Northeastern Ohio and not be a sports fan.  As a cheerleader in middle and high schools, I came to appreciate and UNDERSTAND the game of football and basketball.  

I remember Marion Motley from the OLD Cleveland (Bulldogs) Browns coming over our house to socialize with my parents.  (He and my mother went to high school together).  I remember  Brian Sipe and the "Kardiac Kids" who always had me on the edge of my seat when they were playing.  I remember how proud I was when my high school classmate Phil Hubbard made his presence known on the Cleveland Cavaliers, along with Brad Daugherty, Ron Harper and Mark Price (the Cavalier's three-point king).

But in all of those years, we never won a championship or even came close.  My saddest memory is the 1987 AFC Championship Game between the Browns and Broncos on January 17, 1988 at Mile High Stadium. With 1:12 left in the game, Browns running back Earnest Byner fumbled on the Broncos 1 yard line while try…

The Tragedy and Illusion of Facebook

"Things aren't always the way they appear."  No truer words could be spoken following the tragic death of Karen Smith in San Bernardino, CA this week.  She was murdered on her job---in a classroom where she was teaching young students.

What intrigued me about this story was the fact that she and her husband killer, Cedric Anderson were black baby boomers around the same age as my husband and myself.  I was particularly interested in the posts he made on Facebook.  By all accounts, he posted regularly on Facebook about the so-called love and admiration he had for his wife.  He created an image that was clearly contrary to the murderous behavior he demonstrated when he walked into her classroom and killed her.

In a February 27th post, he posted a selfie video and said:  "I love being married to Karen Smith-Anderson!"

March 11 post, he said: "My wife Karen Smith-Anderson is an Angel!!!"

March 12: He posted a youtube song by Sade titled By Your Side and said:…