Saturday, March 17, 2007

Baby Boomer Divas Know How to "Work it Out!"

OK...I'm on a mission...I just came from my aerobics class at the gym and by the end of the class I was definitely sweatin' like a pig to the oldies.

I had a great exercise week. I only missed one day. You see in order to maintain "Diva Status" you have to work it out. You have to challenge your body and break a sweat. A leisurely walk in your neighborhood is fine if all you're seeking is nature but if you really want to burn some calories, you've got to step up the pace and work that body.

At least 30 minutes of aerobic exercise three or more times a week is what I recommend. Even if you can't afford a gym membership, you can pump up that heart rate by doing a combination walk/run in your neighborhood or a designated location where runners go. If you think it's too cold outside, put on your favorite dance CD and work out a routine. If you were a cheerleader like me, you're sure to have a few kick routines you can throw in. Jump roping is also a great exercise and it gets your heart rate up in a relatively short period of time. This is where you can test yourself to see how many times you can jump without stopping. Set a goal. Start out with 20 jumps and add five each time until you're doing 100 comfortably. If you have stairs in your home, develop a routine where you climb up and down so many times a day and increase the number by two each day.

Oh, and don't forget the strength training. You can't look like a Diva if you're just skinny. You need to have some toning on your body. Divas can't have flabby arms or stomachs that make them look pregnant. Now, I'll admit that's an area I'm still working on. But the key here is I'm still WORKING on it. And whatever you do, don't give up. It really does get frustrating when you work hard and you don't see any visible results right away. But look at it this way, it took 10 or more years to gain the weight so don't expect it to fall off overnight.

OK...well, that's my baby boomer diva tip for today. Next time, I'll talk about diet.

No comments:

Passing the Torch from Baby Boomers to Millennials to Gen Z

Whether baby boomers can accept it or not, a changing of the guard has taken place with  millennials and the up and coming Gen Z generations...