Friday, March 16, 2007

Baby Boomer Divas Understand Priorities

I had an interesting conversation yesterday with a man who, although I didn’t know his age, was a baby boomer. He started the conversation by asking me how old my son was. Of course, I laughed and corrected him on the fact that the infant I was with was my grandson. You know what came next, don’t you? He told me I looked way too young to be a grandmother so he just assumed the baby was mine. I thought to myself, “You’re right Mister, Baby Boomer Divas know how to keep it together so for all you know I could be a great-grandmother!”

Anyway, we got to talking about the older women he knew who had babies by men who were 15 to 20 years younger than them and he thought that was a shame. Personally, I think DISGRACE is a much stronger word and a total misuse of sperm. As we continued to talk, he expressed his frustration over not being able to find a woman in his own age group and he also wanted to let me know that he had tried dating younger women in the past but it never worked out because they had nothing in common. He also said he didn’t want to be considered a “Sugar Daddy” so he felt it was in his best interest to end the relationships. Then he said something that stuck with me: “Love is something you TRY---not something you BUY.”

It got me to thinking about my own “younger” days and the priorities I had for choosing the right companion. It’s funny how my priorities were so screwed up back them. Thank God I’ve grown up into the Baby Boomer Diva I am today and my status has attracted just the right Baby Boomer man.


Beverly Mahone, Author of Whatever! A Baby Boomer's Journey Into Middle Age http://www.thebabyboomerdiva.com

No comments:

Passing the Torch from Baby Boomers to Millennials to Gen Z

Whether baby boomers can accept it or not, a changing of the guard has taken place with  millennials and the up and coming Gen Z generations...